Finding the time or energy to shave can at times feel like a small feat. Even worse, going ahead and shaving, and ending up with painful or disappointing results. Good news, you don’t have to live like this, there’s hope for you yet! A few simple changes and new techniques can make all the difference. Remember: Patience is key.
- Flaky or drying skin does not go well with your razor, period. Prior to shaving, either the day before or the day of, exfoliate with a gentle body scrub (avoid anything with citric acids or abrasive grains). For underarms, a scrub made for unclogging face pores works wonders!
- Wet skin for at least 3 minutes, that moisture is necessary. But don’t overdo the time either, any longer than
10 minutes and your skin will swell, making it impossible to get a close shave.
- If you don’t have any shaving gel, reach for hair conditioner or ultra moisturizing body wash. Never use soap, this is simply too drying.
- Once you’re done shaving, don’t cleanse the rest of your body with a loofah, sponge, or wash cloth. This may irritate skin so just use your hands.
- Moisturize with a good body oil (Olive oil, Coconut Oil, Baby Oil) or a fragrance free lotion. Wait an hour before doing so if your skin is super sensitive.
- Avoid shaving during your period, your body tends to be prone to pain at this time.
- You still have take care of your skin days after shaving. Exfoliate a couple of times a week to prevent in-grown hairs (this happens when hair curls back inside the skin and creates painful pimples).
- Keep skin as taut as possible when shaving in your bikini area or underarms.
- Change razor blades after 3-5 uses.
- Avoid cheap disposable razors, as well as those made specifically for men.
The best thing you can do for yourself is have all the right stuff when shaving. Make sure there are at least 3 blades on your razor. Those with shave gel bars are fantastic for the lazy or the busy. Use quality shave gel, and don’t ignore having sensitive skin.
- Freeman Feeling Beautiful Sugar Body Scrub Pomegranate $3.99
- Gillete Venus ProSkin Moisture Rich Razor $10.99
- Schick Intuition Naturals $10.99
- EOS Shave Cream Lavender Jasmine $4.99
- Skintimate Moisturizing Shaving Gel for Sensitive Skin $3.59
- Exederm Soothing Baby Oil $11.99
- Curel Daily Moisture Fragrance Free Lotion $7.99
Categories: The Works